CHAPTER XII THE CHURCH OF S. JOHN THE BAPTIST IN TRULLO5 ACHMED PASHA MESJEDI THE Identification of the church of S. John the Baptist In Trullo (Mov?} TQV ajiov irpo^rjTQV irpo&po/AQv 'latdvvov rov Iv TO TpQv\"X,(®) with the mosque of Achmed Pasha Mesjedi is based on two reasons : first3 because of their common proximity to the church of the Pammakaristos,1 now Fetiyeh Jamissi; secondly^ on the ground of the tradition current In the Greek community on that point. The latter reason Is in this case particularly strongs seeing the church of the Pammakaristos was the patriarchal cathedral almost immediately after the Turkish conquest, and retained that honour until I59I.2 The highest Greek ecclesiastical authorities were therefore in a position to be thoroughly acquainted with the dedication of a church in their close vicinity. In 1578 the protonotarius of the patriarch showed Gerlach the site of the Trullus close to Achmed Pasha Mesjedi.3 The church is mentioned in history only by Phrantzes,4 who informs us that when the Patriarch Gennadius trans- 1 Phrantzes, p. 307. 2 Patr. Constantius, p. 80. 3 Tagebuch, p. 456. On the way eastwards from the residence of the Moldavian agent (Bogdan Serai), says Gerlach, * Auf diesem Spazier-weg hat mir Theodosius auch den Trullum auf der Seiten des Patriarchats gegen dem Sultan Selim gewiesen. Welches vor diesen ein sehr weiter Platz gewesen, nun aber nichts mehr da als ein rundes getaffeltes Haus, wie ein kleines Kirchlein 1st' Cf. his statement reported by Crusius in Turcograecia, p. 1891 t Patriarchatui contiguum est monasteriolum Joannis Baptistae a Graecis sanctimonalibus inhabitatum." 4 Phrantzes, p. 307 ; cf. Turcograecia, p. 189.